London's Bridges and Crossing Over the Midlife Transition



One of my fondest memories of my London trip is spending time looking at and crossing several bridges along the Thames River. As I look at pictures of London’s bridges taken with my camera as well as with my heart’s lens, I can’t help being in touch with the crossing over that I am going through internally. But. . . here are some of London’s bridges.

London Bridge. Like many Pinoys, my very first encounter with and memory of London was through the childhood song about the London bridge.  Who didn't sing and play "London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down" at some point in his/her childhood?  Hence, foolish as it may seem to most Brits, I just had to have a photo taken by the London Bridge. Not only did the bridge look ordinary in comparison to the other bridges of London;  it also isn't the original London Bridge.  Apparently, the original bridge made of wood was built during the first century and was rebuilt several times until it was replaced with stone. After several demolitions and replacements, the current London Bridge is said to have been built in the 1960s while the former bridge was transferred brick by brick to another city (some would say to Lake Havasu CIty, in Arizona, USA as a tourist attraction).  I am sure that for many, the structural changes of the bridge was filled with stories, just as the song and game that we used to play left memories in many a child’s heart. 

Tower Bridge. Built in 1884, the Tower Bridge is one of the world's famous bridges and one of London's famous landmarks. I could spend hours simply gazing at such a unique work which meticulously combines science and art.  The sides were designed to be raised in order to facilitate boat traffic.  These movable sides of the bridge remind me so much of how we would raise our arms as kids as we played London Bridge.  I guess this explains why many had mistaken the Tower Bridge for the London Bridge - my wild guess. 
Jubilee Bridge

Jubilee Bridge.  A footbridge side by side with the Hungerford Railroad Bridge, the Jubilee Bridge was the first bridge I crossed on foot in London amidst snow and a gloomy weather.  It will therefore always have a special place in my heart.  At the other end of the bridge is the Jubilee Garden.  One gets a very good view of the London Eye from the bridge.

Millennium Bridge. The Millennium Bridge is another footbridge, and it connects the Tate Modern Art Gallery and the city along the side of the St. Paul’s Cathedral.  This is also known as the “Wobbly Bridge” because of the swaying motion felt in the bridge just a few days after it opened in 2000 prompting the closing of the bridge. It was not until 2002 that it was re-opened.  We crossed this bridge just after sunset and had a magnificent view of the St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Southwark and Tower Bridges, and the Shard, the tallest building in London.   

Southwark Bridge.  The Southwark Bridge is the only colored bridge I saw in London and was much more beautiful at night.  It connects the city and Southwark where the beautiful Southwark Cathedral sits.  My eyes feasted inside the Southwark Cathedral, the oldest Gothic church building in London and the seat of Anglican worship in the city. 

Southwark and Tower Bridges and the Shard, tallest building in London, viewed from the Millennium Bridge

Bridges and lighthouses had taken on a different and special meaning in my life-world since entering the midlife passage. While initially doors held a deep meaning as I found myself at the threshold of midlife, bridges and lighthouses took the place of doors as imageries capturing my transition process. 

I guess more than at any time in my life, I now need to be reminded that there are bridges to help me cross over.  I can move forward and leave behind the world I had been so used to, a world where I know there are facets of my self and my life I need to shed off no matter how comfortable being there had become, to another world that promises new life, new growth, and a new evolving Me.  And yes, while I cross over into this new world, I know I can always turn to the beautiful memories of the old world with medals of valor from loves lost and nurtured, lessons painfully learned, and deep connections lovingly but also painstakingly woven.  As I now walk closer to the other end of my bridge, I say goodbye to the old Self and greet the new, evolving Self with anticipation, knowing that the future holds promise of better things to come and of the faithful love of my loving Creator – She who never gives up on me, She who believes in my inner goodness and beauty even during times when all I see are the ugliness and darkness in my Self.  

Comments

Popular Posts