Getting a Little Techie: Discovering the Joy of E-book Reading

I wouldn't consider myself a techie.  I had a certain pride in holding on to my old mobile phone until it started acting up and giving me problems.  A couple of times, while walking in the mall, my two good friends even teased me, saying that the phones in the Nokia recycle box were far better than mine.  I was not affected.  As long as it was working, I was happy with it.  While most couldn't imagine writing a simple letter without a computer, until about seven years ago, I would still write my draft on paper.  I thought I was more creative and could think better when I would write on paper. 

Things had changed.  Mobile phone companies produce mostly touch phones that allow me not only to create text messages or make a call but also to check my emails and even browse the internet.  Still, I don't think I'm techie enough. 

2013 though is the year when I would find myself introduced to the wonderful world of tablet computing.  Despite my initial reactions to another gadget, I found myself extremely delighted with my being able to log in in a split second. All of a sudden, it felt very ancient to use a laptop.   And who says no to a free iPad? 

Recently, however, I find myself wanting to "unplug" more and more. I'd turn on the tablet to read and end up either responding to office emails or lost in the world of Facebook.  I also started having problems with my left arm and hand.  Many days I can't even carry a bottle of olive oil without feeling heaviness and pain.  I am ready to spend less and less time on a tablet but I don't want to give up the joy of e-book reading.  



Now, don't get me wrong.  I still love paperbacks.  I love the smell of a new book, the crispness of its page, the connection I make with it as it stays by my bedside for nights.  There's something romantic about reading a paperback or about my relationship to it. 

E-book reading though has many pluses.  More practically, the limited space I have at home now cannot allow me to accumulate more books - unless I give away my other books.  I may sound like a very acquisitive person but I just have an attachment to books - to a good number of my books. I have tried to solve the space problem by creating shelves anywhere possible including under my bed, but there are limits to creativity and resourcefulness when it comes to a limited resource like space.  E-books are more environment friendly too.  Yes, there is joy in a tree to see her death as a means to perpetuate knowledge, to have a cause higher than the tree-self. But then again, why cut down a tree in these times of overwhelming natural disasters when one can help it?     

There is more.  I really enjoy having access to books that are unavailable in Philippine book stores.  I don't have to wait for ages to get a copy of a newly released book. I like the idea of being able not only to highlight meaningful texts but also to write down my own thoughts and even reflections without messing up the page.  With the developmental challenges of my eyes, it's a wonderful gift to read a book without my eyeglasses as I can adjust the font size.  What I find most wonderful about e-books is  that I can go around carrying my entire library of e-books in my e-reader, having the luxury of reading what I fancy for the day or even for the moment. 

Since a few weeks ago, I found myself obsessing over a Kindle e-reader. Lightweight, undisturbed reading time, and very friendly to the eye. And I gave in.  Let me just ease the guilt by thinking of it as my early Christmas gift to myself. 







Comments

Popular Posts