The Gift of Anam Cara

He is one of my spiritual mentors.  Although he is a he, he helped me to go beyond critical psychological barriers leading to a deeper appreciation of the wonderful gift that my body is.  He immersed me in the beautiful spirituality of Celtic tradition. I may not have had the chance to meet him in person, but he is someone I would consider a mentor and a soul friend, an Anam Cara, as his first book was aptly titled.   

Two days ago, I felt an inner stirring to look for my copy of Anam Cara.  Aside from January being his birth and death month, my attempts to understand my body-mind-spirit journey in light of my present medical concerns seemed to have created a very deep hunger for him.  Thanks, John O'Donohue for the gift of Anam Cara, the book and you.  

I share here two finds from that day's search. 

On the dancing mind: "We put terrible pressures on our minds. When we tighten them or harden our views or beliefs, we lose all the softness and flexibility that makes for real shelter, belonging, and protection.  Sometimes the best way of caring for your soul is to make flexible again some of the views that harden and crystallize your mind;  for these alienate you from your own depth and beauty." - page 103






A Blessing for the Senses
   
May your body be blessed.
May you realize that your body is a faithful and beautiful friend of your soul.
And may you be peaceful and joyful and recognize that your senses are sacred thresholds. 
May you realize that holiness is mindful gazing, feeling, hearing, and touching. 
May your senses gather you and bring you home.
May your senses always enable you to celebrate the universe and the mystery and possibilities in your presence here. 
May the Eros of the Earth bless you. 


Comments

Popular Posts