Good Ol' Adobo Goes Vegan

Cooking is one of my sources of joy.  In the absence of a househelp who can take care of washing after I do the cooking and with the hours lost to traveling, I have found myself cooking less and less these past months.  Yet, each time I have the opportunity to cook leisurely, I feel a deeper sense of connection not only to my body but also with my spirit.  

To motivate myself to go back to cooking and to eating healthier food, I'll make vegan recipes that I experiment with a part of my blog. 

So, here's my first. Vegan Adobo adapted from a recipe that my friend, Nancy (who is celebrating her birthday today) adapted from her friend's.  

Ingredients

2 pieces eggplant, sliced diagonally
2 tablespoons minced garlic  
1/4 kilo vegetarian choplets (or 1 block firm tofu), cut into small pieces
1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon whole blackpepper
3 pieces bayleaf
2-4 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water 

Mix together the vinegar, honey, liquid aminos, water and half of the garlicWhen available I prefer to use vinegar with honey.  Marinate the choplets in the mixture for about 30 minutes.  

In low fire, fry the sliced eggplants in 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Set aside when soft

Add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil and lightly fry the choplets. Set aside when lightly browned.  Add the remaining olive oil and saute the remaining garlic for about 30 seconds.  Add the mushrooms to the garlic and continue cooking for around 3 minutes.  

Add the marinade to the mushrooms and let simmer in low fire for around 3 minutes.  Then, add the choplets and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about 25 percent.  Two minutes before turning off the heat, add the eggplant.  

Important notes:  (1) My friend said that this is to be cooked uncovered and that stirring should be avoided so that that the dish won't turn too sour.  (2) I am an intuitive cook.  My measurements may not be accurate as I play things by ear (or in this case, by tongue.)  

Today's is one of my best versions.  

 


   

  


Comments

Popular Posts