Contemplative Cleaning

Back from our voluntour to help restore the Ifugao Rice Terraces.  I feel sore all over from all the trekking and crawling but I felt I should clean up things before I return to work tomorrow.  First, the soiled clothes.  Then, the soiled footwear.  

Something struck me while looking at my pairs of rubber shoes and slippers and Enzo's pair of sandals.  These footwear walked the same roads and rice fields.  Yet, my footwear were much more muddied and dirty than Enzo's.  

I am reminded of the truth that we often go through the same experiences but go through these experiences differently and come out changed differently.  We choose our paths and who we become as a result of the paths we choose.  A major change is happening in an important area of my life.  Several of us are affected.  How do I want to go through this change?  What kind of person do I want to be as I go through this transition and how do I want to see myself coming out of it?  Am I going to be the ampalaya pills model?  Or, am I going to be a blue-sky person?  Do I automatically move into the most rational option?  Or, do I take this as an opportunity to rethink my life and make an important move towards where I feel the Spirit is calling me?

After all is said and done, I know I will come out of this major change a better person.  That is because as early as now I have made a decision - a decision to look at this transition as a window of growth, as a window that will open up to me a beautiful horizon. 
     
We choose our paths and who we become as a result of the paths that we choose.



Comments

Popular Posts