No Easy Answers as Always: School Hunting for an Adolescent

When I started thinking about the challenges of parenting an adolescent, it didn't occur to me that deciding on where my son would continue his education after the 6th grade would even be a concern  I didn't realize that this decision could take so much of my energy and time.  Today, after spending half of the day with co-parents while we waited for our children who were taking their entrance exam in a science high school,  I found myself not only undecided but also very confused. Where oh where will my son spend the next six years of his life as he complies with this K-12 requirement?  

Things came quite easy for me during his pre-school and elementary years.  Armed with my Child Development courses, I more or less was sure of what kind of school I was looking for.  It is a shame though that I am not as well equipped with theories and principles of adolescent education.  "What am I to look for," I asked my friend who is a school administrator when I called her in panic.  

Back in the early '80s when I graduated from grade school, where we would enroll for high school was not much of an issue - at least not for my family.  There were only two private schools in Malolos back then - both run by religious sisters. In my clan, most girls went to Immaculata Academy (now called Holy Spirit Academy).  We were not well-off but my parents thought that a good education was the only gift they could give us and it had to be in a school that could offer the very best.  Now, with the mushrooming of schools, we have before us more options.  However, with more choices before us, we also need to be more discerning. 

As I continue to explore and weigh our options, I ask myself the factors that I think I should consider.  I know my list is not exhaustive and is not based on any sound adolescent psychology and education principle, but I thought these are important factors to consider.

What philosophy of education does the school follow?  This was a primary consideration I had when I chose my son's preschool and grade school.  I almost overlooked this in our present school hunting adventure and was glad that my friend reminded me of this during our phone conversation.  What are the vision and mission statements of the school and what philosophy of education does it follow?  Are these in accord with my own beliefs and values?  Corollary to this, does the school walk its talk?  Many schools claim to be a Montessori school but school administrators and teachers of the schools don't even know Maria Montessori.  Some would claim to be a multiple intelligence school but can't really integrate the principles of Howard Gardner in their curriculum.  What values does the school promote?  What is the mission of the school?  One of the saddest things I heard while looking for a preschool for my son was that the owners decided to open a school because it was a much better financial investment than real estate.  Finding a school that is meant to be an expression of the owners' vocation is like finding a pearl of great price.  

What kind of facilities does the school have to offer?  My questions here range from how clean the toilets are to how well ventilated and spacious the classrooms are to what intellectually and socially stimulating academic and non-academic facilities are available for the students.  Dirty comfort rooms really turn me off.  It may seem simple as my child is a boy and peeing may not be as complicated for him as it is for girls  but what if he has an urgent, ill-timed need to do number 2?  And what values are we teaching our children if dirty and stinky comfort rooms are tolerated in the schools? Airconditioned rooms are great especially if the aircondition units are working and the school administrators do not scrimp on its use.  Otherwise, I would think that a spacious, well-ventilated classroom is better.  What kind of books and educational materials are available for children in the library?  What kind of computer facilities are children provided?  Are there spaces for sports activities and socialization outside of school hours?  Does the school have a well-equipped infirmary?  How about the guidance office?  Does it have space for private conversations between the guidance counselor and children?  

What kind of school-life balance does the school promote?  In the world of work, there is so much talk about maintaining a good work-life balance, i.e., about arriving at a healthy state where one is able to manage one's work demands without allowing it to impinge on the rest of one's life.  I notice that many of our educational institutions do not seem to recognize that there is life outside of school and academics.  After a long day in school, most students spend the rest of their day and a big chunk of their night doing tons of assignments and projects.  Where is balance here?  Where does one squeeze in time for play and reflection that lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation of oneself and one's life?  

What is the track record of the school?  By this I don't  mean how many famous alumni the school has produced?  I am more concerned with the kind of education the school is able to deliver and with how well-rounded its alumni are known to be. I would like to know how many years the school had been in existence and what it has accomplished over those years?  How well has the school moved forward to change with the times?  

What is the general psychological and social atmosphere in the school?  Do the teachers and administrators evoke kindness, joy, and genuine concern for children? Are school personnel firm yet gentle? Or, do the teachers and administrators look like grumpy and option-less folks who are just waiting for their retirement?  I am not impressed with schools where students are too well-behaved that one can't differentiate them from robots, but I think I also won't go for a school where anarchy is the order of the day. I'd like to see a school where children have loads of fun and are able to express their individuality but also know the discipline of hardwork and the values of respect for oneself and for others.  Are children generally excited about a school day?  Or is every school day a day in hell?  Does one feel welcome in the school?  Or, does one feel like s/he is a burden if not a nuisance to the school staff?  I must say that I felt very much welcome when I came to my alma mater today to check on the new campus.  Not only was it a delight to still see some of my former teachers and some of our non-teaching personnel and to be toured around by one of my teachers but it also left a warm feeling and sense of belonging. .  . that I am a part of this family. 

How inclusive is the school?  There was a time when private schools were called exclusive schools.  This was because these schools cater mainly to the upper bracket of society.  Those who could afford it managed to enroll in private/exclusive schools.  I am glad to note that schools are now less exclusive in this sense.  Most private schools now have scholarship programs that allow poor but deserving students to benefit from good quality private education.  Aside from the financial aspect though inclusiveness also factors in how welcoming the school is to differently abled  students or students with special needs.  Inclusiveness should also take into consideration the non-conventional situations of some students, such as coming from single parent families, having OFW parents, or having seriously ill parents or family members. Inclusivity also means students of different religious beliefs are not discriminated on nor are they perceived as targets of the school's effort to proselitize.  One of the greatest (pleasant) surprises of my college days in the Ateneo was sitting in class with students and teachers of various religious beliefs - Muslims, Protestants, Catholics, and even non-believers. 

How much travel time does going to school require?  With the traffic of 21st century cities and the demands of school, it is very important that school is accessible. How much time will it require my son to travel to and from school.  When I was in my last semester in college, I used to travel regularly in the same bus with a mom and her brood of 3 who were studying in Quezon City.  Every single day, we would be in the same bus before 6 AM.  It was a pity to see the children struggling to open their eyes as their bus station neared. I couldn't help asking myself if all that travel was worth it for those very young children. Since I am talking about an adolescent here, I am also interested to see if the distance of the school is going to allow my child to eventually commute to school on his own without me dying of anxiety. 

How does my child feel about the school?  Since my son is moving into adolescence and since it is he who will spend six years in this school, I think it is just proper that I give him a say in the choice.   With a lot of guidance, I think, at the end of the day, my son should have more say in this.  And I hope this will redound to less whines and wishes at night that there won't be school the following day. 








Comments

Popular Posts